Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New Change: Decorating & Simplicity

It's funny that my first post was suppose to be about our move to our new apartment. That post is still waiting to be completed. I didn't want to complete it until our apartment was finished being decorated. I am so close to accomplishing this. It's a huge deal for me, because I have never 100% finished decorating a place that I lived in. I can't wait to share photo's of our place soon!

In the meantime I have been trying to de-clutter and giveaway a lot of stuff too.  I have been doing really good at purging. We seem to manage to take quite a few bags to goodwill and I sale some items on Craigslist. My goal right now is to keep things simple. Here's a list of a few things I'm doing or working on:

  • Minimizing the amount of kitchen gadgets that I have and probably don't use.
    • I have donated a lot of plastic containers. We don't have a lot of cabinet space and I hope to buy all collapsible reusable containers in the near future. We already have a few collapsible pieces that I love! These are way more practical for me then the large bulky containers that take up too much space. Here's a few more that I'd like to purchase soon:


  • I decided I no longer wanted to buy plastic vinyl shower curtain linings. Even though they are cheap they are not recyclable. I purchased a recyclable lining that you can also wash and reuse. The vinyl curtains seem to get really gross quickly and I would go through those pretty fast.

  •  These are a few items I recently bought to help "complete" my house decorating/simplifying projects:

My Dean Smith autographed basketball FINALLY has a place to call home! I want to make sure I take good care of this one so I can pass it down one day!


I was very excited to purchase this mini food processor. I have been wanting one for a very long time. This will be so much easier for chopping up spices and other food items. I can't wait to try it out! I'm sure with the holiday's coming up I'll get to use it quite a bit. I love the color I picked out too!


I have been wanting one of these cool gadgets for a long time! I finally purchased a refurbished one and I love it! I have been so behind with my receipts this year, so this is going to save a lot of time for me. It will also help out around tax season!!!


We bought these simple curtains for our bedroom. We live right off of a main street and it can be pretty bright through our window. The curtains we bought aren't this long, but the same style. They are very simple and they serve their purpose. I don't like spending a lot of money on items like this when I know we're going to be moving in the near future. I am just glad we finally have something to block a little sunshine and street lights!

I can tell such a huge difference in my life now that we've tried to keep things more simple. I really hope to keep the concept of simple living in our future (even when we have kids). I also hope to stay aware of the environment and try to do small things like recycling and buying reusable items. This change is so good for Chris & I. It truly just makes me a happier person! I'll look forward to sharing  more soon!

No comments: